15 August, 2005

UK edition of Black Juice

OK, now that Gollancz are advertising it, I can put up the cover of the UK edition.

In other news: Tomorrow at 9.30 I sign the lease on my writing room.

Farewell, kitchen table. Farewell, State Library desk. Both of you have your advantages (kitchen table: multi-tasking, being there to answer phones, take deliveries and absorb teen angst, closeness to bed - oops, how did that get in there?; SL desk: hugeness, emptiness and a commute that keeps me in touch with the rest of the world and all its wonderful germs and train-loonies).

But my next world beating novel demands that I hide away and become an obsessive, wild-eyed, monosyllabic recluse for a little while. Well, OK then, if that's what it takes. (Shrugs helplessly.)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

purty. in fact, i think that's my favourite of the covers.

15 August, 2005 15:46  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Hi Deb! My editor Jodie went to a book group in Victoria to discuss Black Juice. Some members had the YA cover, some had the grown-ups'; whichever they had, they were adamant that theirs was the Right cover for the book.

15 August, 2005 15:51  
Blogger Dave said...

That's a gorgeous cover. Much as I like the U.S. cover, I think that tops it.

15 August, 2005 17:12  
Blogger Jonathan said...

omigod. that is the *best*. i will definitely be getting a copy. does the new story have a title? and isn't this world first hardcover, or something like that? tres nice.

15 August, 2005 22:15  
Blogger Tessa said...

Ditto. Very purdy. I like it best, although methinks that my cover (whatever one it is) has a more fitting mood.

15 August, 2005 23:58  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Glad youse like it, Dave, Jonathan, Tessa. The new story is called "The Point of Roses" and is about roses, ashes and stuffed toy dogs.

17 August, 2005 19:44  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Hi Perry. For the Australian editions I got to state my preferences among 2-3 roughs.

For the US/UK they sent me a single rough. I was happy with it, so I didn't have to really test how far I could go, but I think if I'd had huge objections I might have had the power to insist on one redesign.

But I'm not such a megaseller that I can seriously throw my weight around in this area. I saw a documentary in which Bryce Courtenay was in his publisher's office being shown an array of covers, 4-5 different ones, all mocked up on hardback dummies of course, and he was definitely taking control of the look of the final product. I'm not in that league. (Yet. Tee-hee.)

18 August, 2005 13:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home