18 April, 2006

From Edge magazine (UK)

The result is a collection heady with emotion and atmosphere. Yet despite her undoubted craft [...], there's also an impression of slightness in the style. With every surreal sketch of a clown-killing sniper choosing victims like sweets from a variety box, or a bride late for her ceremony after two years of Bride School, it becomes harder to see how the atmosphere could be sustained for a full-length book.

So, like the chocolate bar of certain starry constellation, Black Juice is tasty, but it won't satisfy your appetite for something more substantial.
Really, you can only shake your head sometimes, can't you? And vow to write ten obvious novels-in-progress next time, in order to please everybody.

(Thanks, Angela, for sending me this review.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Trent Walters said...

Odd how people think a style should be thus-and-so. I'm thrilled your career is already launched instead of fighting to find a place.

Puzzling too how every one thinks that novels are more satisfying. I find it the opposite. I'm usually left wishing they'd compacted what they'd written into a short story because the work's so slight--whether the field is literary or SF. Always exceptions, of course.

18 April, 2006 12:40  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

I just think, 'Why do you think I wrote them as short stories, densehead? If I could have sustained them as novels (and I'd had the time!) I would have written them as novels! These are a whole different species! You want something more substantial? Don't look in a short story collection!'

There. Vented. Back to work.

19 April, 2006 17:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home