12 July, 2006

Pimping Lili's book

Hey, I was in the State Library of New South Wales today - they have very grunge SLNSW T-shirts now that would tempt me if I had any money and needed any clothes - and I looked in their New Books section, which always has something surprising in it. And I picked up Lili Wilkinson's book, Joan of Arc: the story of Jehanne Darc, and - I'm not saying this just because I know Lili, but...what a read! What a gal (both Lili and Jehanne).

All I have of Joan of Arc is scraps of ghostly facts that were taught me in primary school, which kind of mingled with the Saint-Theresa-always-choosing-the-smallest-piece-of-cake and Saint-Brigid-hanging-her-laundry-on-a-sunbeam (I hear that the new pope is doing away with Limbo. All the good things are going.) nonsense that we were fed. I didn't have a lot of time (because I was supposed to be reading and familiarising myself with a whole bunch of tech. writing stuff), but I read the gory bits, the eyewitness accounts of the trial and the execution; now I need to go back (or even buy the book! how crazy would that be?) and read how it all happened, and finally divorce the Dauphin from the marine cetacean with which my 11-year-old brain has him twinned.

I'm not even going to look for reviews. Tell me, Lili, how many 'feisty's has Joan collected?

5 Comments:

Blogger E said...

Wow. This is odd. I just did a google search for your name because the stories you wrote are stuck in my head and I keep recommending them to people, and I found your blog. The internet is a strange place, if it can be called a place. Well, just so you know, the fact that you're alive and wrote what you did has had an impact on me, a person you've never met. And now your stories are in my head. Is that a strange feeling, or are you used to it by now? Good luck with... your life, I suppose. Yes. Good luck with that. A little extra luck never hurt anyone.

13 July, 2006 00:39  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Hi there, Eleanor! I'm delighted that the Internet brought you here. I'm also very pleased that my stories have reached you and interested you; it is indeed a strange but lovely thing that they go out and do that independently of me. Thanks for your lucky wishes and for visiting and commenting.

13 July, 2006 08:33  
Blogger lili said...

Hi Margo,

thanks for the pimping, and thanks for picking up Joan (in the less-weird sense of the word). i'm not sure if i've gotten any 'feisty's. but i got a 'dream come true'and an 'instantly engaged', so that makes me happy.

I had no ghostly scraps of joan when i started writing it (other than: horse, sword, french, dead), so i would count yourself lucky.

13 July, 2006 16:24  
Blogger Christopher Miles said...

Hi Margo,

It's the Black Dog webmaster here - just wanted to let you know that the link to Lili's book needs to be updated. I've given the black dog site a bit of an overhaul and the correct link is now http://www.bdb.com.au/books/index.php?book_id=joan_of_arc

Cheers,

Chris

23 July, 2006 14:55  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Done. Thanks, Chris.

24 July, 2006 07:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home