20 June, 2007

A novel snippet

No news, just novel. Here's a pretty bit, from the very first scene, where the dwarf and the orphan girl have just had it off in a haystack (I told you it was YA):
It was warm, perfect for nudding down, the air like warm satin sliding all over me. The last blue of evening was close around us shielding us from eyes, and yet the stars were there, winking and festive also and who could mind them?—and the moths, soft and silver. The stars lit them, I guess, and the last light from the sky, and the slight light from Shakestick’s lamps as he hurried the last of the haystackers, other end of the field. Anyway, they were low like a mist, the moths, like a dancing mist, large and small like snow wafting on a breeze, as if the very air were too alive not to burst into these creatures, to take wing and flutter in all these different directions.

Everything was making sense, this girl and me wrapping each other, and what had gone before. A great Aha! had happened to me and I saw, now, why the whole world was paired up man to woman like it was, buck to doe, bull to cow, cock to hen: for both their releases, to keep them present on the earth, instead of away suffering inside their own bodies and heads. Moth to moth, too, eh? Moth to moth, look at them, floating and flirting, giving off their moth-signals, curling their feather antlers at each other’s nearness.
It's turning into a monster, I tell you. Word says it is 94,300 words, and I'm not done yet.

Yours happily,

Margo.

7 Comments:

Blogger Trent Jamieson said...

Cool, see this is why I should never miss ROR.

20 June, 2007 10:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You big tease! The more I read the more I want to read

20 June, 2007 13:30  
Blogger TansyRR said...

I *knew* this novel needed dwarf sex!

Love it, love it.

20 June, 2007 14:34  
Blogger Trent Jamieson said...

What novel isn't improved by a healthy leavening of dwarf sex, T?

20 June, 2007 17:07  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

I can think of a few novels that couldn't even be saved by dwarf sex - but not many, it's true.

Trent, this scene wasn't written at ROR time, so this is its first outing. However, you did miss 30,000 other words, containing no dwarf sex but an awful lot of other (awful, mostly) sex.

Tansy, you wait until you get to the cloth-golem sex at the end. I tell you, you won't know where to look.

Hi Simmone! I'm working on getting the rest out to you ASAP, I promise.

20 June, 2007 17:40  
Blogger Amy Fiske said...

Oh my. I suspect it's going to cause quite a stir in America. Good thing you've won awards!

Lovely writing, by the way.

21 June, 2007 05:39  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Hi Amy! A few other things happen besides the sex. Some miscarriages, a man being eaten by a bear, a death by trampling. All good wholesome stuff, heh-heh. Oh, and witchcraft - that always goes down well, your side of the Pacific, doesn't it? :)

21 June, 2007 12:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home