21 August, 2007

Book Weeking

This week is Children's Book Week here in Australia, and I have spoken to 360 children today. (Hi there, Emmaus Years 7 and 8 - and happy birthday, Seth!) Yesterday I spent 2 hours workshopping with about 20 boys at Liverpool Boys High School, the third of 3 workshops, and tomorrow I've got 3 talks to give at Wenona in North Sydney. Queenwood next week, too. Mine is going to be the most fondled Book of the Year medal ever.

(I don't often get the chance to be sick of the sound of my own voice, but this year Book Week has provided it.)

3 Comments:

Blogger The Scarlet Tree said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Little people all day, how exhausting! Sounds really fun though! :)

21 August, 2007 21:02  
Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

I yearn to do the school tours and workshops. Somewhere, there is a bookish, lonely kid for whom, maybe, I could make a difference....

Now -- to get writing, so I can get famous enough to get an agent to book me a school tour....

21 August, 2007 21:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exhausting is right. I remember going on a three week tour a couple of years ago, and on the third Thursday I stood up in front of all these Year 7 kids, and I could feel the hostility coming off them. It wasn't because they were awful - they were just reflecting my own shitty attitude/boredom. So now I actually remind myself that the content has to feel fresh, even though it's basically the same stuff I've been saying for weeks/months/years on end.

Sigh.

23 August, 2007 16:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home