26 July, 2009

Yay, a Brit read the book!

Stephanie Merritt at the Observer provides a necessary corrective to all the knee-jerking over there. '[T]o condemn it as merely wilful taboo-breaking,' she says, 'is to miss the humanity in what is one of the strangest and most moving works of children's literature I have read in years [...] Look beyond the shocking scenes and this is a novel that explores the most profound human emotions with a clear gaze; it made me weep like a child at the end.'

Weeping is a much better reaction than shrieking.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Floating Lush said...

I absolutely loved Tender Morsels: it was beautiful and it was painful and it was probably one of the best things I've read in a really long time. Thanks for such an amazing experience.

(Not to toot my own horn, but I wrote a little review: http://floatinglush.blogspot.com/2009/04/tender-morsels.html)

29 July, 2009 09:52  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Thanks, FL, and thanks for the nice balanced review!

30 July, 2009 14:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home