14 February, 2013

Are you sitting comfortably? Not for long, bwaha!

Because "The Goosle", my Ditmar-winning Hansel and Gretel rewrite-and-extension is uploaded and prowling the internet.

Nightmare Magazine is featuring it in its e-book version, but has also put the story up online, with an accompanying Author Spotlight! *is dazzled*

And in case you missed the kerfuffle when it first came out in Ellen Datlow's The Del Rey Book of Science Fiction and Fantasy, here is Dave Truesdale's rant against the story:
"Del Rey ought to get a long, loud, wakeup call... and quick. If the author, editor, and publisher can nuance this story, massage it, spin it to where the objectionable inclusion of child rape for shock value alone is acceptable, then there are absolutely no boundaries, for any reason, anywhere -- and we can expect more of the same. This sets a precedent, if not challenged."
And here he hoists himself with his own petard.

Okay, that's enough character assassination; I must be off and bring down some more of Western civilisation.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marg said...

Hmmm. Seems to be an issue with the website.
I will definitely be interested in reading this when we can access it.

14 February, 2013 21:57  
Blogger Christina Carnoy said...

I just finished Tender Morsels. It was awesome, however, one complaint, my heart is just aching for Liga...doesn't she ever find true love? Can you write a short story where she does? Then I could have closure. Liga just has too many sorrows!!! It breaks my heart. I can't sleep tonight, just thinking about it!!!

15 March, 2013 18:49  
Blogger AmongAmidWhile said...

Hi Christina,

Liga may well find true love. I always envisaged her either finding it in herself to manage without a man, or forming a friendship with one of Ramstrong's older friends, which blossoms into something more. I felt I left her in a good position at the end of the novel, that is, independently wealthy and free of any stigma that the town might have attached to her if they knew her true identity. From there, she pretty much had the same opportunities as Lady Annie had—and she also had Annie's friendship, which was a very sustaining thing. Never fear, Liga is okay from now on; I don't feel that life deals her any more serious blows.

Best wishes,
Margo.

17 March, 2013 13:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home